Q: Are my hearing aids really kaput if they get wet?
A: If you only knew how often we get this important question. As powerful as they are, hearing aids — like all electronics — have a couple of Achilles’ heels, and one of them is water. The moisture could come from a swimming pool, a shower, or even the sweat from working out or soaking up a hot summer day, but it all comes down to this: Wetness can permanently put your hearing aids out of commission.
Of course there’s always the potential miracle — who hasn’t heard the occasional story of a friend or loved one accidentally putting their hearing technology, personal music player, smartphone, or other treasured device through the washing machine only to have it continue working without seemingly skipping a beat? That’s some rare luck, however, so it’s important to stick to prevention.
Here are six ways to help keep wetness away from your hearing aids:
- Avoid Moisture Altogether Remember to take your devices out of your ears before showering, hitting the pool, or getting into the hot tub, and be sure to store them in their own secure case rather than loose in a pocket or purse.
- Wipe Them Down Wiping your devices daily with a clean, dry cloth helps clear moisture and debris and helps reduce the risk of damage.
- Stay Vigilant Water-resistant hearing aids aren’t waterproof, so keep these types of devices out of the shower, pool, and hot tub, too. Otherwise, they can get damaged when immersed.
- Use Hearing Aid Covers These handy helpers can aid in protecting your devices from water splashes and keep out dust and dirt, too.
- Consider a Hearing Aid Dryer or Dehumidifier This small appliance not only dries and sanitizes your devices as you sleep but can also double as their regular storage container.
- Keep a Hat On Hand You never know when an unexpected rain shower might crash your outdoor fun. Having a spare hat can help keep the rain off you as well as your hearing aids.
Some simple steps at home can help keep your hearing aids dry and working well. Bringing them in periodically for a professional clean and check goes a long way, too. If it’s been a while since they’ve had a good once-over or they don’t seem to be operating their best, don’t delay. Schedule an appointment with our caring team today!